Saturday, March 13, 2010

Jordanne Thomas


This is a really funny story about how dedicated we are to making sure our customers are happy and get their dress on time.

I was shortening this dress for Jordanne.  It was originally floor length.  Several layers of skirts.  I stood at my work table and used the rotary cutter.  The dress is incredibly bulky and big and as I moved it around on my table I accidentally knocked the circular razor knife off of the table and onto my foot.  I had on dark socks and looked down relieved that the handle must have hit my foot.  A minute or two later I felt a squish in my sock and when I removed my sock I saw a small, very deep cut on the top of my foot just above my 3rd toe.  I had a decision to make.  Go to the emergency room for stitches and disappoint my customer or stay and finish the dress.  For nearly 10 minutes I applied pressure to the wound.  I hopped upstairs and put the dress on a mannequin on my work table and elevated my foot.  A few minutes later I was bleeding again.  I went in the bathroom and hung my foot over the bath tub while I dripped into the tub.  I called my husband for help.  After the usual explanation and chastisement for not being more careful David used his Boy Scout first aid training and applied pressure.  Once the bleeding was stopped I gave him a bottle of clear nail polish and he proceeded to apply several coats directly on the cut, gently blowing on each layer to help it dry.  With his assistance I hobbled into my office and elevated my foot.  It took a couple more hours to finish the dress but I made it.

The next day I explained to my customer and her mother and asked that they not look too closely at the cut edge of the net layers because I could not stand at the table and cut the hem evenly.  Luckily, I had already finished the most outer layer before the mishap.

Customers at The Gallery by Lynette should rest assured in the fact that we would rather bleed to death than miss a wear date.

No comments:

Post a Comment